Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Lehi leaves Jerusalem behind...

        As I was reading this chapter (1 Nephi chapter 2). I kept thinking about how Lehi was obedient to the Lord and left a great deal of his possessions, not to mention his house, in Jerusalem. The Lord had told him that Jerusalem would be destroyed and he immediately obeyed and took his family and left, no matter how much the Jews mocked him. It relates to the times before a lot, we are told to not do things that either will destroy us or are commandments from the Lord. Our prophets counsel us all the time on what we can do to be better. In church we are taught the words of the prophets so that we don't forget what they have said, also we are taught basic things.
         We are asked to keep the Sabbath day Holy, to love our neighbors, to not commit adultery, etc. How many of us are willing to follow just the basic things that we are asked? Do we read the scriptures daily and pray daily? do we turn off the TV on Sundays? do we do Family Home Evenings? Do we go to the temple regularly? It made think so much of the things that me and my family are doing right, and what we are doing wrong. The only way to improve things is by doing things better starting now, not tomorrow, but now. I love Nephi's words "I will go, and I will do, the things the Lord commands". Even though it seems easy, many of us struggle with simple things and those are the things that we can start to get better at. Sometimes we make the excuse of busy life, but it doesn't take any time to just "Choose the Right" which is the primary theme this year. I am determined to "choose the right" so that I can be a good example to my kids, specially while I am teaching them the theme of the year, this month's theme, and all the wonderful primary songs for this year. We are examples of our kids, our kids depend on us. We might think that "just this one time won't hurt me/them" but it does and it will and even if it won't... if the Lord commands it, we must obey and no questions asked.
           I love the Lord and His gospel. I have felt His love everyday of my life. I know he listens to my prayers and answers them. I know that even if I want something and the Lord knows is not the best for me, I can trust that he won't give it to me and I am ok with that because He knows better. I hope I can leave "Jerusalem" behind me and not look back. I hope I can go and do what the Lord commands and I hope that my kids do it too... Being a parent it's a huge responsibility!

No comments:

Post a Comment